Our skin is the most crucial asset we all have. No matter what job we do, our skin NEEDS SPECIAL CARE considering internal as well as external part of us which means apart from what products we apply on our skin, we must also focus on our nourishment, our lifestyle, the nutrients we take and the mental state we live in.
Keeping and having a spotless, clean, dull free face requires just a tad of effort, resulting in the clear and glowing skin.
Before customizing your Daily Skin Care Routine, please Identify Your Skin Type!
I’ll be describing all the steps in detail for the daily skincare routine :
# STEP 1: CLEANSING
Cleansing your face is the foremost skincare step for a healthy, radiant and glowing skin.
- BENEFITS OF CLEANSING!
A thick layer forms over our face and clogs the skin pores due to all the dirt, excess oil, sweat, and impurities from the pollution which leads to blackheads and acne giving us lot of skin problems.
Regular cleansing will help you in cleaning up the clogged pores and excess oil from your face and will give you a clear and healthy skin.
This step involves maintaining the PH level of your skin leading to a natural balance of oil and water.
- HOW TO USE CLEANSER?
- Wet your face with water, take your suitable Cleanser and gently massage your face with your fingertips properly in circular motions. Take time while you do it.
- Cleanse your face twice a day.
Choose a face wash according to your skin type.
- HOW TO CHOOSE FACEWASH?
- If you have OILY SKIN, go for the face wash which has a low PH level(gel or foam cleansers will work great on your skin).
- If you have SENSITIVE SKIN, choose a face wash which is mild or has natural ingredient without any chemicals.
- If you have DRY SKIN, choose the one which is gentle on your skin and has moisturizing ingredients including mineral oils ( go for non-foaming formula). Don’t go for cleansers with alcohol content, it can dry up your skin more.
- If you have ACNE –PRONE SKIN, choose a face wash which has ingredients like Tea- Tree oil and aloe-vera or is “non-comedogenic”. Don’t choose cleansers with alcohol in it.
# STEP 2: TONING
Toning is a very important skin care step after cleansing and before moisturizing your face.
- FACE TONER BENEFITS!
Toners are responsible for cleaning up the skin pores even more after washing your face as it helps in controlling the oil of your face and this results in shrinking and tightening up your open pores.
Toners are helpful for all skin types including the oily and acne-prone skin type ones
- HOW TO USE A FACE TONER?
- Apply your toner twice a day.
- Apply the toner all over your face with the help of a cotton pad (avoid areas around your eyes and lips).
Choose a correct toner depending on your skin.
- HOW TO PICK A TONER?
- DRY SKIN TYPE– Choose a toner which has moisturizing ingredients like jojoba oil. It will keep your face hydrated. Don’t go for alcohol-based toners as it can dry up your skin, even more, causing redness and irritation.
- OILY SKIN TYPE– Look for a toner which is gentle and refreshing on your skin.Toner with oil-free ingredients and non- alcohol based.
- SENSITIVE SKIN TYPE – Choose a gentle, mild and alcohol-free toner.
# STEP3: MOISTURIZING
- BENEFITS OF MOISTURIZER!
Moisturizing your face soon after toning is very essential as it gives a boost of Hydration to your skin and it also improves your skin texture making it smooth and soft.
Daily moisturizing will prevent wrinkles and anti-aging keeping your skin fresh and young.
This step will help you prevent any flakiness and dryness, resulting in a glowing and healthy skin.
Every skin type needs moisturizing including the oily and acne-prone skin type ones.
- HOW TO APPLY A FACE CREAM?
- Moisturize your face twice a day.
- Take a little bit of moisturizer in your hands, warm it with your palm and then gently massage all over your face in the upward direction( don’t forget your neck). This way it won’t cause sagging and will help reduce your puffiness.
- Be gentle around your eye area.
- HOW TO CHOOSE A MOISTURIZER?
- OILY SKIN TYPE- Choose a moisturizer which is more of a lightweight( gel formulation) or has oil-free ingredients. Oily skin type people do not need much moisturizing.
- ACNE –PRONE SKIN TYPE– Look for a moisturizer with non-comedogenic ingredients.
- DRY SKIN TYPE – Needs more moisturizing. Choose a moisturizer which is heavier and thicker in texture and gives proper hydration to your skin.
#STEP 4: SUNSCREEN
- BENEFITS OF SUNSCREEN!
Sun rays do the most damage to our skin as it produces the harmful Ultraviolet Rays which penetrates into our skin and destroys our skin cells. Excessive sun exposure results in tanning, sunburn and can even cause skin cancer.
Sunscreen acts as a temporary barrier over your skin and provides protection against the harmful effects of Ultraviolet rays and helps prevent skin damage and hyperpigmentation.
- HOW TO APPLY SUNSCREEN?
- Apply the sunscreen all over your face and neck by gently rubbing it into your skin and other areas as well which will get exposed in the sun.
- For the sunscreen to work properly, apply it after your moisturizer and 15-20 minutes before stepping out in the sun as it will get absorbed into your skin evenly.
- Always reapply after every 2-3 hours.
Choose an appropriate sunscreen according to your skin type.
- HOW TO CHOOSE SUNSCREEN?
- Always choose a sunscreen with higher SPF(SUN PROTECTION FACTOR)30 OR higher.
- SPF 30 blocks around 94% of the UVB rays, SPF 40 blocks around 97% ( no SPF blocks 100% ).
- The sunscreen should state “Broad-Spectrum” or whether they protect against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Look for water-resistant sunscreen as our skin secrete water through sweat(no sunscreen is waterproof or sweatproof)
- For OILY SKIN TYPE – choose a sunscreen which has a matte or gel formulation.
- For DRY SKIN TYPE– choose the one which also gives your skin hydration with the protection.
- For ACNE-PRONE SKIN TYPE – choose a sunscreen which is “non-comedogenic” that won’t clogged pores.
#STEP 5: EXFOLIATING:
- BENEFITS OF EXFOLIATING!
Our skin tends to build dead cells and secrete oil that layers up our face which leads to clogged pores, whiteheads and blackheads and then pimples.
Skin Exfoliation is the best method which will help you get rid of your old dead skin and excess oil from your skin pores resulting in tightening up the open pores.
This method will improve your skin texture by removing your whiteheads and blackheads and it also helps in removal of tanning.
Ideally, exfoliation is done after cleansing your face as it lets your toner and moisturizer to penetrate deeply into your skin and work better.
- HOW TO EXFOLIATE FACE?
- Wet your face with water, take your suitable scrub and gently rub it all over your face in circular motions with your fingers ( avoid the area around your eyes).
- Do it for 5 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Do not scrub if you have wounds or cuts.
Exfoliate your face according to your skin condition.
- DRY AND SENSITIVE SKIN TYPE – Do not exfoliate more than once a week as it can cause irritation and flakiness. Choose a scrub which is mild and contains oil ingredients.
- OILY SKIN TYPE – Do exfoliate often. Choose a clay-based scrub.
- ACNE-PRONE SKIN TYPE – Stay away from scrubs as exfoliation can spread your acne and can make your face worse.
CAUTION – Do not over exfoliate as it can damage your skin.